Online course. Immediate access.
Open to all. Designed for Parents and Carers.
1 hour of content using slides with voice-over, animations, videos, quizzes and many resources to download.
Includes Certificate of Completion and CPD Points.
Only £5 GBP. 30 day access.
Welcome to this short course which we have put together specifically to support parents and carers. In this course we aim to:
- Help you better understand the senses and how we process information from our senses
- Introduce you to what sensory issues can look like in a child’s behaviour and engagement, and
- Give you some ideas on how to support your child’s sensory needs at home
- In this course, we will start with an explanation of the different senses. You will probably know about the 5 senses, touch, hearing, taste, smell and seeing.
- We will tell you about these senses and two more that inform our brain about movement. We will then look at different sensory integration difficulties.
- There are different types of difficulties that people present with as a result of inadequate sensory processing.
- We will explain what these are and the types of day to day difficulties that people may experience because of these sensory processing and integration difficulties.
- We will then look at strategies that you can use at home, these strategies are suggestions of activities and adaptations that you can try at home.
- Please note that these strategies cannot replace the advice from a therapist that has assessed your child.
Who should complete this course?
This course is suitable for parents and carers. It is open to all.
- Stable WiFi/Broadband - This is an online course. You cannot download this course. You cannot access it without being connected to WiFi Broadband.
- Google Chrome browser (latest version) - You will not be able to view the learning content and assessments properly whilst using other browsers.
I liked how this course helped me to understand the reasons behind children's reactions and behaviours, while making it clear not to use this to try to diagn...Read More
I liked how this course helped me to understand the reasons behind children's reactions and behaviours, while making it clear not to use this to try to diagnose! It was also very useful to have practical applications in the form of 'safe strategies' that can be used in everyday life and not just by trained therapists.Read Less
Very enjoyable informative course
Very enjoyable informative courseRead Less
Long but the content feels whole in meeting extent of course remit effectively
Long but the content feels whole in meeting extent of course remit effectivelyRead Less
Thoroughly enjoyed this course, easy to use and follow. Super informative.
Thoroughly enjoyed this course, easy to use and follow. Super informative.Read Less
Behavioural Support Worker
Clinical and Therapy Assistant
A note about downloadable video transcripts
01 Welcome and Introductions to this Course
How to Engage with this Course
02 The Senses. How You Make Sense of the World
03 Sensory Processing and Integration Difficulties
04 Strategies to Use at Home
30 day access