Online course. Immediate access.
Open to all. Designed for Parents and Carers.
1 hour of content using slides with voice-over, animations, videos, quizzes and many resources to download.
Only £5 GBP. 30 day access.
Our “Understanding Sensory Processing and Integration for Parents and Carers” course has been adapted to focus on teenagers.
This short course will help you better understand the senses and how we process information from our senses. It will introduce you to what sensory issues can look like in a teenager's behaviour and engagement, and give you a toolkit of ideas on how to support a teen’s sensory needs at home.
On this course we will:
- Tell you about the 5 basic senses (touch, hearing, taste, smell and seeing).
- Tell you about two senses that inform our brain about movement.
- Explore the different sensory integration difficulties people present with as a result of inadequate processing and integration of the senses.
- We will explain how these difficulties can impact a teen's day-to-day activities.
- Give you a toolkit of ideas to help you support your young person.
- Give you strategies that the young person can use to recognise and manage their own sensory needs with more independence.
Who should complete this course?
This course is aimed at parents and carers (including special school and care home staff) of teens living with sensory processing and integration challenges.
It is open to all.
- Stable WiFi/Broadband - This is an online course. You cannot download this course. You cannot access it without being connected to WiFi Broadband.
- Google Chrome browser (latest version) - You will not be able to view the learning content and assessments properly whilst using other browsers.
I have finally completed this course, having renewed my access twice! I was really impressed with the depth of detail and how well everything was explained. ...Read More
I have finally completed this course, having renewed my access twice! I was really impressed with the depth of detail and how well everything was explained. Sensory processing and integration is a massive topic but I felt that the areas covered here were very relevant to and mindful of this age group. I'm glad I have found the time to do this. I will be recommending it to some of the parents of the young people I work with!Read Less
I found this course very informative with lots of strategies/activities that can help to keep individuals at ‘just the right state’.
I found this course very informative with lots of strategies/activities that can help to keep individuals at ‘just the right state’.Read Less
I learned a lot from the presentations provided and was able to download the slides which will be very useful for review.
I learned a lot from the presentations provided and was able to download the slides which will be very useful for review.Read Less
Not too much terminology. Everything was relevant and compact. Excellent time and level of intensity.
Not too much terminology. Everything was relevant and compact. Excellent time and level of intensity.Read Less
01 Welcome and Introduction to this Course
How to Engage with this Course
02 The Senses. How you Make Sense of the World
03 Sensory Processing and Integration Difficulties
04 Strategies to Use at Home
30 day access