Online course. Immediate access.
Open to all. This course is aimed at carers (including care home staff) for adults with learning disabilities (also called intellectual disabilities).
1 hour of content using slides with voice-over, animations, videos, quizzes and many resources to download.
Includes Certificate of Completion and CPD Points.
Only £5 GBP. 30 day access.
Our “Understanding Sensory Processing and Integration for Parents and Carers” course has been adapted to provide a focus on adults with learning disabilities.
This short course will help you better understand the senses and how we process information from our senses. It will introduce you to what sensory issues can look like in an adult with learning disabilities, behaviour and engagement, and give you a toolkit of ideas on how to support a person’s sensory needs at home.
In this course we will:
- Tell you about the 5 basic senses (touch, hearing, taste, smell and seeing).
- Tell you about two senses that inform our brain about movement.
- Tell you about an eighth sense that tells us about internal sensations in our body.
- Explore the different sensory integration difficulties people present with as a result of inadequate processing and integration of the senses.
- We will explain how these difficulties can impact a person's day-to-day activities.
- Give you a toolkit of ideas on how to support sensory needs at home, in residential, and daycare settings.
Who should complete this course?
This course is aimed at carers (including care home staff) for adults with learning disabilities (also called intellectual disabilities).
It is open to all.
- Stable WiFi/Broadband - This is an online course. You cannot download this course. You cannot access it without being connected to WiFi Broadband.
- Google Chrome browser (latest version) - You will not be able to view the learning content and assessments properly whilst using other browsers.
01 Welcome and Introduction to this Course
How to Engage with this Course
02 The Senses. How you Make Sense of the World
03 Sensory Processing and Integration Difficulties
Strategies to Use at Home
30 day access